Rheem 3600W Electric Storage Element
Elevated temperatures may be present during element removal process.
Personal Protective Equipment should be worn to prevent the risk of
When replacing an element on a heater with a cylinder barrel that does not
have an earth tab, ensure the metal surround of the element flange is in
direct contact with the cylinder barrel flange to ensure a good earth contact
is made. Conduct an earth continuity test as required by AS/NZS 3000
When a fault or leak is traced to the element, the water heater should be drained to prevent
damage to flooring or floor coverings by accidental flooding.
1. Drain the water heater.
2. When the water heater is drained, undo the four element screws, removing thermostat
3. Withdraw the element. Care must be taken to ensure the loop of the element does not
catch in the cylinder opening and open out inside the cylinder.
NOTE: Do not cut off the element and leave a portion inside the cylinder
4. Clean around cylinder fitting, fit gasket to new element and slide the element into the
cylinder (reverse to step 3) taking care that it is in the correct orientation. See element
flange for orientation directions.
5. Replace screws and thermostat clamp and tighten.
6. The earthing of the internal storage cylinder relies on a good electrical
contact between the metal surround of the element flange and the
cylinder barrel flange.
An earth continuity test should be performed whenever an element or
element gasket is replaced, adjusted or serviced in any way. This
continuity test is performed between the heaters internal storage
cylinder and the main earth terminal of the water heater with a
resulting reading of not more than 0.5 ohms as required by AS/NZS
7. Restore cold water supply and fill the storage tank. Release air by gently lifting the easing
lever on the T&PR valve until water runs from the drain or opening hot taps.
8. Check for water leaks around the element flange.
9. Conduct an electrical insulation test.
10. Replace access cover and restore the power supply to the water heater.